- A new 'arms race': How the U.S. military is spending millions to fight fake images November 19, 2018It's a video that looks convincing — former U.S. president Barack Obama speaking directly to a camera and calling current U.S. President Donald Trump "a total and complete dipshit." But it never actually happened. The video was produced and voiced by director Jordan Peele and Buzzfeed to warn people of an emerging technology that can […]
- Protecting Big Data, while Preserving Analytical Agility November 19, 2018The age of Big Data is upon us. And, as more data is available for analytical purposes, more sensitive and private information is at risk. As The 2018 Thales Global Data Threat Report notes, “The top Big Data security issue is that sensitive data can be anywhere – and therefore everywhere – a concern expressed […]
- MacGibbon: cyber catastrophe is society’s ‘greatest existential threat’ right now November 19, 2018If you think cyber risk management is not the end of the world you are dead wrong, according to the federal government’s top adviser on these matters. Alastair MacGibbon thinks a potentially cataclysmic cyber security failure is “the greatest existential threat we face as a society today” and the relevant authorities have not been taking […]
- Chinese spies responsible for surge in cyber hacking November 19, 2018
- Hackers May Exploit Microsoft PowerPoint For Malware Attacks November 19, 2018Microsoft Office tools, particularly, the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, have always enticed criminal hackers due to their popularity among the masses. A slight glitch or feature exploit can hence lead to massive cyber attack campaigns involving phishing and malware drops. Recently, a researcher discovered an attack method that exploits Microsoft Office PowerPoint for malware attacks.
- Evolution of cyber hacking: Check Point explains how online threats have grown November 18, 2018Cyber hacking has grown more sophisticated over the past five years, from banking trojans and ransomware to today's main threat - cryptomining. Internet security firm Check Point's intelligence operations group manager Maya Horowitz explains how cyber attacks have evolved to Felix Todd. As the internet becomes an ever more prevalent influence on 21st century life, […]
- Construction begins on F-35 engine maintenance facility in Queensland November 18, 2018Australian Defence Industry Minister Steven Ciobo has broken ground on TAE Aerospace’s new Turbine Engine Maintenance Facility (TEMF) in Queensland. Located in Bundamba, south-east Queensland, the latest turbine engine maintenance site will help support in-country sustainment of the Royal Australian Air Force’s (RAAF) F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter jets.
- US to join Australia in Papua New Guinea naval base plan November 18, 2018The US says it will join Australia in developing a naval base in Papua New Guinea (PNG), in an apparent move to curb China's growing influence. Vice-President Mike Pence said the three countries would work together on the facility on Manus Island. Australia announced last month that it would work with PNG to develop the […]
- MILVEHCOE is a milestone November 18, 2018Today’s sod-turning on the new Military Vehicle Centre of Excellence marks a new milestone for the Australian Army and the nation’s developing defence industry. Minister for Defence, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP said he was pleased to see the ongoing development of Australia’s Defence industry sector, and the key next step in the over $5 […]