- Britton Maritime Systems to build 10 Gemini RHIB Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats for Australian Navy January 21, 2021According to a statement released on January 20, 2021, Sydney-based company, Britton Maritime Systems was awarded a $9 million contract to build 12 Gemini seaboats for the Australian Navy’s newest Cape-class patrol boats. Australian Defence’s Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group’s head of maritime systems Rear Admiral Wendy Malcolm said the contract was another example of […]
- Australia Reportedly Looking At An Alternative To Its Costly New French-Designed Submarines January 21, 2021Australia’s plans to introduce 12 advanced new Attack class submarines may have hit a new snag. The huge cost of the French-designed conventional submarines, which will likely feature air-independent propulsion and other advanced technologies, means that officials may be examining whether they might instead replace the Royal Australian Navy’s six existing Collins class boats with […]
- Recognition for ADF members and families January 21, 2021THE Defence Honours and Awards Appeals Tribunal will consider recognition for members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) who are injured, wounded or killed in or as a result of their service, and their families. Minister for Defence Personnel Darren Chester said following preliminary consultation and advice from the Council of Women and Families United […]
- Lockheed Martin to provide maintenance for THAAD air defense missile systems of UAE January 21, 2021According to a contract released by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) on January 15, 2021, American company Lockheed Martin Space, Sunnyvale, California, is being awarded a sole-source, cost-plus-incentive-fee, cost-plus-fixed-fee, firm-fixed-price definite contract under a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) case to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to provide maintenance and sustainment for two Terminal High […]
- U.S. Considering Australian Light Amphibious Warship January 21, 2021Australia has a history of importing key military platforms from the United States - examples include the F-35A Lightning II, F/A-18F Super Hornet, P-8A Poseidon and M1A1 Abrams tank. But there are now several near-term opportunities for Australia to provide military technologies for the U.S. Here are three intriguing possibilities.
- BAE Systems to install electronic warfare (EW) self protection pod to help defend P-8A Poseidon aircraft January 21, 2021BAE Systems received a $4 million contract from the Navy for a quick-turnaround demonstration of a new radio frequency countermeasure system for the P-8A Poseidon aircraft. The system will be a lightweight pod mounted to the aircraft that will add a new self-protection capability to the Poseidon, the company said in a Jan. 5 announcement.
- DEFCON Technologies supplies Combat Hearing Protection technology to Rheinmetall for Lynx under Land 400 Phase 3. January 20, 2021Canberra-based Defcon Technologies Group is proud to have been selected to supply, integrate and support the latest generation of INVISIO Combat Hearing Protection technology to Rheinmetall Defence Australia as part of the LYNX IFV Intercom System in their bid for Army’s LAND 400 Phase 3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle Program.Nick Stokes, Defcon’s Managing Director, provides some […]
- Insitu Pacific launches virtual classroom for Defence January 20, 2021The first Royal Australian Navy (RAN) personnel to undertake training through Insitu Pacific’s new remote training and simulation capabilities have successfully gained their ScanEagle Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) pilot and maintainer qualifications. The remote training delivers elements of the ScanEagle UAS course virtually,..
- Would you spend $90b on this submarine? January 20, 2021We don't know exactly why Malcolm Turnbull's government chose the French to build 12 submarines for the Royal Australian Navy. But the most expensive military contract in the nation's history seems to have been determined by sound. The French proposal for what may be the largest non-nuclear submarine ever had one crucial advantage over similarly […]